dovecot-lda - Dovecot's local mail delivery agent
] [ -a address
] [ -c
] [ -d username
] [ -f
] [ -m mailbox
] [ -o
] [ -p path
is a local mail delivery agent which takes mail from an
MTA and delivers it to a user's mailbox, while keeping Dovecot index files up
Main features of the dovecot-lda
- Mailbox indexing during mail delivery, providing faster mailbox access
- Quota enforcing by the quota plugin
- Sieve language support by the Pigeonhole sieve plugin
Options accepted by dovecot-lda
- -a address
- Destination address (e.g. user+ext@domain). Default is the same as
- -c config_file
- Alternative configuration file path.
- -d username
- Destination username. If given, the user information is looked up
from userdb. Typically used with virtual users, but not necessarily with
- If mail gets rejected, write the rejection reason to stderr and exit with
status 77 (EX_NOPERM). The default is to send a rejection mail
- -f envelope_sender
- Envelope sender address.
- Don't clear all environment at startup.
- -m mailbox
- Destination mailbox (default is INBOX). If the mailbox doesn't
exist, it will not be created (unless the lda_mailbox_autocreate
setting is set to yes). If a message couldn't be saved to the
mailbox for any reason, it's delivered to INBOX
- -o setting=value
- Overrides the configuration setting from
/usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf and from the userdb with the
given value. In order to override multiple settings, the -o
option may be specified multiple times.
- -p path
- Path to the mail to be delivered instead of reading from stdin. If using
maildir the file is hard linked to the destination if possible. This
allows a single mail to be delivered to multiple users using hard links,
but currently it also prevents deliver from updating cache file so it
shouldn't be used unless really necessary.
will exit with one of the following values:
- Delivery was successful. (EX_OK)
- Invalid parameter given. (EX_USAGE)
- -e option was used and mail was rejected. Typically this happens
when user is over quota and quota_full_tempfail = no is configured.
- A temporary failure. This is returned for almost all failures. See the log
file for details. (EX_TEMPFAIL)
- Dovecot's main configuration file.
- Mailbox locations and namespaces.
- LDA specific settings.
- Plugin specific settings.
- Quota configuration.
Report bugs, including doveconf -n
output, to the Dovecot Mailing List
<email@example.com>. Information about reporting bugs is available at:
Related MTA specific documentation:
- postconf(5), transport(5), pipe(8)
- The accept router
- Generic options for transports
- The pipe transport