echo - display a line of text
echo [SHORT-OPTION]... [STRING]...
Echo the STRING(s) to standard output.
- do not output the trailing newline
- enable interpretation of backslash escapes
- disable interpretation of backslash escapes (default)
- display this help and exit
- output version information and exit
If -e is in effect, the following sequences are
- alert (BEL)
- produce no further output
- form feed
- new line
- carriage return
- horizontal tab
- vertical tab
- byte with octal value NNN (1 to 3 digits)
- byte with hexadecimal value HH (1 to 2 digits)
NOTE: your shell may have its own version of echo, which usually
supersedes the version described here. Please refer to your shell's
documentation for details about the options it supports.
GNU coreutils online help:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report echo translation bugs
Written by Brian Fox and Chet Ramey.
Copyright © 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL
version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO
WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
The full documentation for echo is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the
info and echo programs are properly installed at your site, the
- info coreutils 'echo invocation'
should give you access to the complete manual.