xgettext.pl - Extract translatable strings from source
This program extracts translatable strings from given input files, or from
if none are given.
Please see Locale::Maketext::Extract for a list of supported input file formats.
Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.
Similarly for optional arguments.
- Files to extract messages from. If not specified, STDIN is
- -f, --files-from=FILE
- Get list of input files from FILE.
- -D, --directory=DIRECTORY
- Add DIRECTORY to list for input files search.
- -u, --use-gettext-style
- Specifies that the source programs uses the Gettext style (e.g. %1)
instead of the Maketext style (e.g. "[_1]") in its
- -d, --default-domain=NAME
- Use NAME.po for output, instead of "messages.po".
- -o, --output=FILE
- PO file name to be written or incrementally updated; "-" means
writing to STDOUT.
- -p, --output-dir=DIR
- Output files will be placed in directory DIR.
- -g, --gnu-gettext
- Enables GNU gettext interoperability by printing "#,
perl-maketext-format" before each entry that has "%"
- -W, --wrap
- If wrap is enabled, then, for entries with multiple file locations, each
location is listed on a separate line. The default is to put them all on a
Other comments are not affected.
By default, all builtin parser plugins are enabled for all file types, with
warnings turned off.
If any plugin is specified on the command line, then warnings are turned on by
default - you can turn them off with "-now"
- -P|--plugin pluginname
Use the specified plugin for the default file types recognised by that
- -P|--plugin 'pluginname=*'
Use the specified plugin for all file types.
- -P|--plugin pluginname=ext,ext2
Use the specified plugin for any files ending in C<.ext> or C<.ext2>
- -P|--plugin My::Module::Name='*'
Use your custom plugin module for all file types
Multiple plugins can be specified on the command line.
- "perl" : Locale::Maketext::Extract::Plugin::Perl
- For a slightly more accurate but much slower Perl parser, you can use the
PPI plugin. This does not have a short name, but must be specified in
xgettext.pl -P Locale::Maketext::Extract::Plugin::PPI
- "tt2" : Locale::Maketext::Extract::Plugin::TT2
- "yaml" : Locale::Maketext::Extract::Plugin::YAML
- "formfu" : Locale::Maketext::Extract::Plugin::FormFu
- "mason" : Locale::Maketext::Extract::Plugin::Mason
- "text" : Locale::Maketext::Extract::Plugin::TextTemplate
- "generic" : Locale::Maketext::Extract::Plugin::Generic
If a parser plugin encounters a syntax error while parsing, it will abort
parsing and hand over to the next parser plugin. If warnings are turned on
then the error will be echoed to STDERR.
Off by default, unless any plugin has been specified on the command line.
If you would like to see which files have been processed, which plugins were
used, and which strings were extracted, then enable "verbose". If no
acceptable plugin was found, or no strings were extracted, then the file is
- Lists processed files.
- -v -v|--verbose --verbose :
- Lists processed files and which plugins managed to extract strings.
- -v -v|--verbose --verbose :
- Lists processed files, which plugins managed to extract strings, and the
extracted strings, the line where they were found, and any variables.
Audrey Tang <email@example.com>
Copyright 2002-2008 by Audrey Tang <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
This software is released under the MIT license cited below.
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of
this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"),
to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the
rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or
sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all
copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO
EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES
OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE,
ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER
DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
- Clinton Gormley <email@example.com>
- Audrey Tang <firstname.lastname@example.org>
This software is Copyright (c) 2014 by Audrey Tang.
This is free software, licensed under:
The MIT (X11) License