zeitgeist-daemon - D-Bus interface providing a log of activities
is daemon providing an activity log. That is, it
consists of a central database for events such as file usage, browser history,
calendar entries, etc.
All this information is made available to external applications which
communicate with zeitgeist-daemon
over D-Bus. Interested applications
can request information, insert new events or delete existing events.
Zeitgeist is also capable of establishing relationships between activities. Its
purpose is enabling an activity-aware desktop with adaptive user interfaces.
By default, zeitgeist-daemon
will also start the bundled logging
The program follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with options starting
with two dashes (`--'). A summary of options is included below.
- Do not start zeitgeist-datahub together with this daemon.
- -r, --replace
- Replace any existing Zeitgeist instance if there is one already running.
If this option isn't used, zeitgeist-daemon will refuse to start if
another running instance is found.
- Specifies how much information should be printed to the standard output.
Possible values are: DEBUG, INFO, WARNING, ERROR, CRITICAL.
- Specifies a file to which log output will be appended.
- -q, --quit
- Stop a currently running Zeitgeist instance and exit. This lets Zeitgeist
finish any operation it may currently be doing.
- -v, --version
- Shows which version of Zeitgeist is being executed.
- -h, --help
- Shows a short help message listing all supported options.
- Overrides the directory where user data files are placed. The default
value is that of XDG's data dir (usually ~/.local/share/zeitgeist).
- This variable lets you specify an override for the filename of the main
database. The default value is $ZEITGEIST_DATA_PATH/activity.sqlite.
- This variable lets you specify an override for the filename of a possible
database backup. The default value is
- This variable lets you specify comma separated list of extension names
which shouldn't be loaded. The names are extracted from type names of the
extensions, so to disable extension with type name
ZeitgeistDataSourceRegistry, value of the variable should be
: zeitgeist-daemon will shut itself down in a clean way.
It is recommended that system updates of Zeitgeist send
this signal to all running instances of zeitgeist-daemon. DBus activation will
make sure the updated software is automatically restarted when needed.
- Zeitgeist terminated normally.
- An unspecified error occurred.
- There is already a running Zeitgeist instance.
- Could not access the database file.
- The database file is locked.
Please report any bugs on https://bugs.launchpad.net/zeitgeist.
Please see the AUTHORS file bundled with this application for a complete list of
This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under
the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by the Free
Software Foundation, either version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option)
any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY
WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR
A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU Lesser General Public License for more
You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public License along
with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.