basename - strip directory and suffix from filenames
basename NAME [SUFFIX]
basename OPTION... NAME...
Print NAME with any leading directory components removed. If specified, also
remove a trailing SUFFIX.
Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short
- -a, --multiple
- support multiple arguments and treat each as a NAME
- -s, --suffix=SUFFIX
- remove a trailing SUFFIX
- -z, --zero
- separate output with NUL rather than newline
- display this help and exit
- output version information and exit
- basename /usr/bin/sort
- -> "sort"
- basename include/stdio.h .h
- -> "stdio"
- basename -s .h include/stdio.h
- -> "stdio"
- basename -a any/str1 any/str2
- -> "str1" followed by "str2"
GNU coreutils online help:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report basename translation
bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/>
Written by David MacKenzie.
Copyright © 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL
version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO
WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
The full documentation for basename is maintained as a
Texinfo manual. If the info and basename programs are properly
installed at your site, the command
- info coreutils 'basename invocation'
should give you access to the complete manual.