xbrightness - Adjust a monitor's brightness for XFree86
BRIGHTNESS [ GAMMA ]
sets the overall brightness of a monitor via the XFree86 X
server video mode extension (XFree86-VidModeExtension).
It uses the new XF86VidModeSetGammaRamp
function, which provides a more
flexible control than the old XF86VidModeSetGamma.
The latter function
cannot change the endpoints of the gamma curve, only the middle, so full
brightness remains full brightness no matter how you set the gamma.
- A number from 0 to 65535, where 0 means complete darkness, and 65535 means
normal functioning - full brightness.
- A float number from 0.0 to 10.0, which gives the exponent used for
building the gamma ramp. The default is 1.0 (linear).
- To get default host and display number.
- Does not have
- display or screen arguments - set these via DISPLAY
environment variable if necessary.
- Does not query brightness, only sets it.
- Does not play well with xgamma - xbrightness will erase xgamma's
- settings and vice versa.
Asher Blum <email@example.com>
Jean-Daniel Pauget <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Written in January 2003 to use the recently added XF86VidModeSetGammaRamp
function as an overall brightness control.
Additions in September 2005 in order to get some revival from a shifted LCD